19 May 2013

Post 5) Investing in the Quay

The Tontine Warehouses were built after the clearance of the covered fish market, the moving of the quay pipe and the widening of the quay infront of St Stephens church bringing about mass demolitions for the construction of Clare Street in the 1770s.

The Tontine Warehouses were completed in 1785 and demolished around 1935 for the present Eagle House. They were of 5 bays, 111 feet of quay frontage, 74 feet high to the hipped roof, consisting of 5 storeys plus cellarage below quay level; coursed pennant stone with brick pilaster strips and brick arches to the windows and door openings. Tracing is underway here, to be imposed on the model, then textured.

No comments:

Post a Comment